Friday, May 04, 2012

70-200mm VR II + TC-20E III + Kenko Teleplus Pro 300

It seems that even with TC-20E III and on a DX crop sensor, the 70-200mm VR II is not long enough for shooting birds in the tree. (I've heard you actually don't want to shoot birds in trees. You want to bait them (?) so that you can get closer.)

Anyway, I thought how to further increase the "reach". I cannot mount 70-300mm VR on TC-20E III and I don't have other telephoto lenses. Then I remembered that I had a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300. So I stacked the TC-20E III  on it, with 70-200mm VR II on TC-20E III.

It worked! Sure, the focus hunted, but eventually it locked. If you click the above image and go to flickr, you can see the original picture. I think it is quite impressive. I turned off CA correction in Capture NX 2, only adjusted the exposure (+2) and curve, since the photo was much underexposed.

I was only able to try it indoor after dark today. Tomorrow, I can test it outside. But the above photo was pretty decent. I shot it handheld at 1/25s and F/5.6 (effetively, F/8?, Kenko 1.4 does not do the conversion, TC-20E III does).

(I'd since tried a couple of times during day time, but has not got a decent picture with this combination.)

No comments: